Join us for a 8-night /9-day trip for an all-inclusive Portugal Food tour
Portugal Culinary Trip Overview
Our Portugal Food Tour is an extraordinary culinary journey that will take you through the vibrant and diverse flavors of Portuguese cuisine.
During this 8-night, 9-day adventure, we will explore the enchanting cities of Lisbon, Sintra, Evora, Nazaré, Aviero, and Porto, as well as visit local hidden gems along the way.
Immerse yourself in the local culture as you sample traditional dishes, learn the art of Portuguese cooking in interactive cooking classes, and discover the secrets behind the famous Port wine production.
With expert guides leading the way, you will have the opportunity to explore bustling food markets, indulge in the freshest seafood, taste the renowned pastéis de nata (custard tarts), and savor the aromatic flavors of traditional Portuguese spices.
We have carefully curated each day of the tour to provide a perfect balance of sightseeing, hands-on culinary experiences, and relaxation. You will stay in charming and luxurious accommodations that reflect the local culture and provide a comfortable retreat after a day of culinary exploration.
Join us on this unforgettable Portugal Food Tour as we embark on a gastronomic adventure that will delight your taste buds, expand your culinary knowledge, and create memories to last a lifetime. Book your spot today and get ready to indulge in the rich flavors and warm hospitality of Portugal.
- Duration: 8 nights / 9 Days
- Tour Dates: March 9 – March 17, 2024
- Locations: Lisbon, Sintra, Evora, Nazaré, Aviero, and Porto
- Product code: PORTUGAL 2024
- Bookings will open Sept 9 to previous travelers and Sept 10 to new travelers. We will accept 30 bookings for this trip.
- Fill out this form ( https://forms.gle/AjekgaEwTfcXrjdj6) and immediately pay a $1000 per person nonrefundable deposit. You will receive an invoice for it.
- Remainder due December 1, 2023
|Price for a double or twin room (double occupancy)||US $ 9,750 per room|
|Price for a single room (single occupancy)||US $5,524 per person|
UPCOMING TRIP DATES
March 9 2024 – March 17, 2024
PORTUGAL FOOD TRIP ITINERARY
DAY 01 MARCH 9, 2024– ARRIVE LISBON- ():
Welcome to Lisbon, the vibrant capital of Portugal! As you step off the plane, you’ll be greeted by the warm breeze and the promise of adventure. Lisbon is a city that seamlessly blends history, culture, and modernity, offering a truly unique and unforgettable experience.
Once you’ve cleared customs, make your way to the designated airport exit where your friendly driver will be waiting to whisk you away to your accommodation. As you journey through the city, allow yourself to soak in the sights and sounds of Lisbon – the colorful mosaic-tiled buildings, winding cobblestone streets, and the stunning views of the Tagus River.
As you settle into your hotel, take a moment to unwind and prepare for the incredible journey that lies ahead. Whether you’re exploring the charming neighborhoods of Alfama and Bairro Alto, indulging in mouthwatering Pasteis de Nata (custard tarts), or immersing yourself in the rich history of iconic landmarks like Belém Tower, Lisbon promises to captivate your senses and leave you with lifelong memories.
Join your fellow Travelers for Dinner tonight, and then rest well for the wonderful Portuguese Culinary Trip ahead.
Tonight, we invite you to gather with your fellow travelers for a delightful dinner. After a satisfying meal, it’s time to recharge and prepare for the exciting days ahead.
Rest well and wake up refreshed, ready to explore the enchanting cities, picturesque landscapes, and charming local markets where you’ll experience firsthand the true essence of Portuguese cuisine.
DAY 02 MARCH 10, 2024– EXPLORE LISBON:
Breakfast | Alfama District | Belem | Lunch | Cod shops visit | Hieronymite Monastery | Pastel de Belem tasting| Dinner in Local restaurant| Overnight in Lisbon Hotel
- Breakfast: Start your day with a delicious breakfast in Lisbon. Enjoy a variety of options ranging from fresh fruits, pastries, and local delicacies to kick-start your exploration of the city.
- Exploring the Alfama District: Immerse yourself in the charming Alfama district, known for its narrow streets, colorful houses, and traditional Fado music. Wander through the picturesque neighborhoods, stop by local shops, and embrace the vibrant atmosphere.
- Lunch and Visit to Belem: After your morning adventure, indulge in a delightful lunch before heading to Belem. This historic district is home to iconic landmarks such as the Belem Tower and Jeronimos Monastery. Take your time to explore the sights, learn about the rich history, and soak in the beauty of the area.
- Cod Shops: We will visit the famous cod shops in Belem, where you can discover the different varieties and preparations of this popular Portuguese dish. Learn about the significance of cod in Portuguese cuisine and perhaps even pick up some culinary souvenirs.
- Lunch in a Local Restaurant: We will take a break from sightseeing, and stop by a charming local restaurant for a satisfying Portuguese lunch. Savor traditional Portuguese flavors, try regional specialties, and experience the warmth of Portuguese hospitality.
- Hieronymite Monastery: It’s time for a visit to the Hieronymite Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the intricate Manueline architecture, explore the cloisters, and delve into the monastery’s fascinating history.
- Pastel de Belém Tasting: We treat ourselves to the world-famous Pastel de Belém, a delicious custard tart found in the Belem district. Sample this sweet delicacy and savor its creamy goodness. Don’t forget to pair it with a freshly brewed coffee or a traditional Portuguese beverage.
- Dinner and Overnight in Lisbon Hotel: Let’s conclude our day of exploration with a delightful dinner at one of Lisbon’s local restaurants, offering a wide range of culinary delights. Afterward, relax and unwind in the comfort of your Lisbon hotel, ready to embark on new adventures the next day.
DAY 03 March 11, 2024:– LISBOA – SINTRA – CABO DA ROCA – CASCAIS – ESTORIL – LISBOA
Breakfast at the hotel | Visit Sintra with mountaintop medieval fortifications, vibrant fairytale castles, lush forests, and eccentric labyrinthine gardens, all in one location| Quinta da Regaleira . Lunch | Cabo Da Roca | Dinner at a Fado House | Overnight in Lisbon hotel
Breakfast at the Hotel: Start your day off right with a delicious breakfast at your hotel. Fuel up for the adventures that lie ahead.
Visit Sintra: Embark on a memorable journey to the enchanting town of Sintra, known for its mountaintop medieval fortifications, fairytale castles, and awe-inspiring natural landscapes. Explore the rich history and architectural wonders that make this place truly special. Don’t miss Quinta da Regaleira, a magical estate with its lush gardens and mystical underground tunnels. Immerse yourself in the beauty and charm of this unique destination.
Lunch: After a morning of exploring, it’s time to satisfy your appetite with a delightful lunch. Indulge in the local cuisine and savor the flavors of Portugal.
Cabo Da Roca: Next, venture to Cabo Da Roca, the westernmost point of mainland Europe. Take in the breathtaking panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and feel the cool breeze against your skin. It’s an experience that will leave a lasting impression.
Dinner at a Fado House: As the day winds down, treat yourself to an unforgettable dining experience at a Fado House. Immerse yourself in the soul-stirring melodies of Fado, Portugal’s traditional music genre, while enjoying a delicious meal. Let the melancholic tunes and heartfelt lyrics touch your soul as you connect with the rich cultural heritage of the country.
Overnight in Lisbon Hotel: After a day filled with exploration and delicious food, unwind in the comfort of your Lisbon hotel. Rest well and recharge for the adventures that await you on the following day.
DAY 04 March 12 2024 – LISBON – EVORA
Breakfast | Guided tour of Evora | Portuguese cooking Class and Lunch with local Wine | Explore Evora | Church of St. Francis and its chapel of bones. | Dinner in local restaurantV| and Overnight in Evora hotel
Breakfast: Start your day with a delicious breakfast at your hotel in Évora, preparing you for a day of exploration.
Guided Tour Of Evora: we go ona a guided tour of Évora, a historic city with rich cultural heritage.
Portuguese Cooking Class: Participate in a Portuguese cooking class, where you’ll learn to prepare traditional dishes under the guidance of a local chef.
Lunch: Enjoy the fruits of your cooking class labor by indulging in a delicious lunch featuring the dishes you prepared, paired with local wines for a true culinary delight.
- Take some time to further explore Évora on your own. Stroll through its streets, visit local shops, and immerse yourself in the city’s unique ambiance.
Church of St. Francis: Visit the Church of St. Francis (Igreja de São Francisco) and its Chapel of Bones (Capela dos Ossos). This intriguing chapel is adorned with human bones and skulls, creating a somber yet thought-provoking atmosphere.
Dinner: Enjoy dinner at a local restaurant, savoring more of the region’s cuisine and taking in the local atmosphere.
Overnight: Spend the night at your hotel in Évora, reflecting on the day’s experiences and perhaps looking forward to more exploration in the days to come.
DAY 05 March 13, 2024– ÉVORA – ÓBIDOS – NAZARÉ – CENTER REGION :
Breakfast || Depart for Central Region | Obidos | Taste Ginginha | Nazaré fishing village | Traditional fish stew lunch | Explore Nazaré | Dinner | Overnight in Central Region hotel
Breakfast: Start your day with a delicious breakfast that will energize you for the adventures ahead.
Depart for Central Region: Embark on a journey to the charming Central Region of Portugal. Get ready to explore its rich history and breathtaking landscapes.
Obidos: Make a stop at the picturesque town of Obidos. Marvel at the medieval walls that surround the town and take a stroll through its charming cobblestone streets. Don’t miss the opportunity to taste the famous chocolate cups filled with “Ginginha,” a traditional Portuguese liqueur made from cherries.
Nazaré Fishing Village: Continue your journey to the enchanting Nazaré fishing village. Immerse yourself in the local culture and witness the vibrant fishing tradition that has been passed down through generations. Take a moment to appreciate the stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean from the iconic Nazaré cliffs.
Traditional Fish Stew Lunch: Indulge in a traditional fish stew for lunch, prepared with the freshest catch of the day. Savor the flavors of the sea and experience the authentic taste of Portuguese cuisine.
Explore Nazaré: After lunch, take the time to explore Nazaré at your own pace. Visit the local markets, browse through unique shops, or simply relax on the sandy beach. You may also want to visit the Nazaré Lighthouse or learn about the famous giant waves that attract surfers from around the world.
Dinner: As the day comes to an end, enjoy a delightful dinner with your travel buddies.
Overnight in Central Region Hotel: Rest and rejuvenate in a comfortable hotel in the Central Region. Enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep, ready to embark on new adventures the next day.
DAY 06 MARCH 14, 2024– CENTER REGION – AVEIRO – PORTO
Breakfast || Explore Aviero | Visit the Train Station |Ovos Moles cooking class | Lunch enjoy a Portuguese Cod Dish | Local Wine cellar with Wine tasting | Porto| Dinner in local restaurant | Overnight in Porto Hotel
Breakfast: Start your day with a delicious breakfast, perhaps trying some local Portuguese pastries like pastéis de nata or a hearty breakfast with eggs, bread, and cheese.
Explore Aveiro: Aveiro is known as the “Venice of Portugal” due to its charming canals and colorful Moliceiro boats. We will explore the city, and admire the picturesque waterways.
Visit the Train Station: Aveiro’s train station is renowned for its stunning azulejo (traditional Portuguese ceramic tile) panels that depict various aspects of the region’s culture, history, and landscape.
Ovos Moles Cooking Lesson: Ovos Moles are a traditional Portuguese sweet made from egg yolks and sugar, often shaped into intricate designs. Participate in a cooking class to learn the art of making Ovos Moles and gain insight into the culinary traditions of the region.
Lunch: Savor a Portuguese Cod Dish for lunch. Bacalhau (codfish) is a staple in Portuguese cuisine and prepared in various delicious ways. Enjoy it with a side of vegetables and local flavors.
Local Wine Cellar with Wine Tasting: After lunch, we head to a local wine cellar to indulge in a wine-tasting experience. Portugal is famous for its wines, including Port wine. Learn about the wine-making process and sample some of the finest local wines.
Porto: In the afternoon, we make our way to Porto, a vibrant city known for its historic architecture, picturesque riverside, and rich cultural scene.
Dinner in a Local Restaurant: For dinner, relish the flavors of Porto at a local restaurant. Try some regional dishes paired with local wines or a glass of Port.
Overnight in Porto Hotel: After a fulfilling day, settle into your Porto hotel for a restful night’s sleep, recharging for another day of exploration.
DAY 07 MARCH 15– PORTO – MATOSINHOS :
Breakfast | Porto Walking Tour | Market of Bolhão | S.Bento Station | Stock Exchange (Palácio da Bolsa| Lunch of Caldo Verde | Walking food tour of Porto (Pastel de Nata; Sandwish “Bifana”, Porto “Hot Dog”) | Dinner in local restaurant | Overnight in Porto Hotel
Breakfast: Start your day with a hearty breakfast at your hotel or a local café. Traditional Portuguese options include pastries like pastéis de nata and a strong cup of coffee.
Porto Walking Tour: Explore the charming streets of Porto on a walking tour. You can visit iconic places such as Ribeira, the historic center, and get a feel for the city’s unique atmosphere.
Market of Bolhão: Visit Mercado do Bolhão, a traditional indoor market where you can find fresh produce, local delicacies, and a wide variety of goods. It’s a great place to immerse yourself in the local culture.
São Bento Station: Stop by São Bento Station, known for its stunning tilework in the main hall. Take some time to appreciate the intricate azulejos (ceramic tiles) that depict historical scenes.
Stock Exchange (Palácio da Bolsa): Explore the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace), a beautiful neoclassical building with intricate interiors. Guided tours are available, and it’s worth seeing the Arabian Hall.
Lunch of Caldo Verde: Enjoy a traditional Portuguese lunch. Try caldo verde, a hearty soup made with kale, potatoes, and Portuguese sausage. It’s a delicious and comforting choice.
Walking Food Tour of Porto: Join a walking food tour to experience the city’s culinary delights. Sample local specialties like pastel de nata (custard tart), “Bifana” (pork sandwich), and Porto-style “hot dog.” These tastings will give you a true taste of Porto’s food culture. Yes this is right after we just fed you lunch! Welcome to our tours where we eat nonstop.
Dinner in a Local Restaurant: For dinner, choose a local restaurant to savor more Portuguese cuisine. Some popular options include francesinha (a hearty sandwich) or bacalhau à brás (a codfish dish). Pair your meal with some Portuguese wine or a glass of port.
Overnight: 9. Overnight in Porto Hotel: After a fulfilling day of exploration and culinary adventures, return to your hotel for a comfortable night’s rest.
Day 08 MARCH 16, 2024 – PORTO – DOURO VALLEY
Breakfast | Explore Douro and Rêgua | Visit Windery & Wine Tasting| Lunch in a Quinta | Boat tour on Douro River (Pinhão – Romaneira – Pinhão)| Train station Visit| Dinner in a local restaurant| Overnight in Porto Hotel
Breakfast: Start your day with a delightful breakfast to fuel your adventures.
Explore Douro and Rêgua: Douro Valley is famous for its terraced vineyards and stunning landscapes. Rêgua is a charming town in the heart of the Douro wine region.
Visit Winery & Wine Tasting: Douro Valley is renowned for its wine production. We will visitwine-tasting a local winery to learn about the winemaking process and indulge in a wine tasting session. Taste some of the finest wines produced in this region.
Lunch in a Quinta: A “Quinta” is a rural estate often associated with winemaking. We will enjoy a delicious lunch at a Quinta, where you can savor traditional Portuguese dishes paired with local wines.
Boat Tour on Douro River (Pinhão – Romaneira – Pinhão): Next, we embark on a scenic boat tour on the Douro River, taking us from Pinhão to Romaneira and back. This is a fantastic way to appreciate the stunning landscapes and terraced vineyards that the Douro Valley is famous for.
Train Station Visit: If time allows, we will visit a train station in the region, which might feature intricate azulejo panels or unique architectural elements.
Dinner in a Local Restaurant: For dinner, we will head to a local restaurant in Porto to savor more of the city’s culinary delights.
Overnight in Porto Hotel: Rest and relax at your Porto hotel, reflecting on the beauty and experiences of the day.
Throughout the day, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of the Douro Valley, learn about winemaking, and enjoy the breathtaking natural scenery. Make sure to take plenty of photos and create lasting memories of your journey through this picturesque region.
Day 09 MARCH 17, 2024 – PORTO – DOURO VALLEY
Breakfast | Bid Portugal and your friends goodbye | Transfer to the international airport for your onward flight home |
Breakfast: Start your day with a final breakfast, savoring the last flavors of Portuguese cuisine.
Bid Portugal and Your Friends Goodbye: Take a moment to say farewell to the beautiful country of Portugal and the life-long friends you’ve made.
Transfer to the International Airport: Transfer to the international airport for your onward flight home.
As you depart, reflect on the wonderful experiences, sights, and flavors you’ve encountered during your trip. Remember to carry a piece of Portugal with you in the form of photographs, souvenirs, and the memories you’ve collected.
Cost For the Portugal Culinary Tour
|Price for a double or twin room (double occupancy)||US $9,750 per room|
|Price for a single room (single occupancy)||US $5,524per person|
- All accommodations
- Breakfast, lunch, & dinner on all tour days
- All in-country travel including airfares, bus, etc.
- Private transportation for the group
- Entrance fees
- Experienced English-speaking Driver / Guide
- Group Pick up and drop off at Lisbon
- Return group transfers at airports
- Tips and gratuities to Driver / Guide, porters, and wait staff
- A site-inspection tour where one of us will personally vet each hotel, park, and restaurant to ensure your experience is fabulous
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Transportation / International Airfares from your home to/from Portugal
- Visa costs
- Individual transfers from the hotel to the airport
- Any incidental expenses
- Required travel insurance
- Any meals not listed in the itinerary
- Any extra excursions or events you plan
- Alcoholic drinks, massages, extra snacks, telephone calls, or laundry
- Anything from room service or the hotel minibar
- Note that the trip begins in Lisbon and ends in Porto
- Bookings will open Sept 9 to previous travelers and Sept 10 to new travelers. We will accept 30 bookings for this trip.
- Fill out this form and immediately pay a $1000 per person nonrefundable deposit. You will receive an invoice for it. (Please do not ask for it back no matter what). Our Trips fill fast. If you really want to go, put down your name and deposit as quickly as you can.
- Remainder due December 1, 2023
- Please note we will only run this trip with 23 or more guests. If the trip has fewer attendees 60 days before the trip, we will cancel and refund your deposit.
Put down your $1000/person deposit ASAP
This trip is going to fill quickly. We will limit it to the first 30 people who send their deposit. Fill out this form immediately, and Great Culinary Travels will send you an invoice. You can pay from the invoice directly.
First Come, First Served
- We will take the first 27 bookings (which means, the first deposits).
- Everyone else will be put on a waitlist.
- This is not some sleazy sales tactic to make you panic, just a reality based on other trips
- It is very important to put down your deposit as soon as possible
If you do not have a travel partner, you can purchase a single occupancy room and have it all to yourself! If you would like a roommate, please post in the Facebook group and see if someone is interested in rooming with you. It is up to you to find a suitable roommate.
If you don’t get along with your roommate, GCT is not responsible for this 🙂
- Required Waiver. We need you to sign a waiver holding Teknilogic Inc. not responsible for any travel mishaps. Instead, please get travel insurance so you are covered.
- Required Trip Insurance. Please note that trip insurance is required to join us on a Great Culinary Travel trip. FYI most major credit cards (such as American Express, CHASE Sapphire, and Capital One) offer complimentary insurance when you purchase using their card.
- Required COVID-19 Vaccination card. We are cautious to protect ourselves on these trips. No one will be allowed to travel without proof of vaccination.
Please read our FAQs page to answer any other questions you may have.
Our Culinary Tours Travel Philosophy
Ion destinations where the US dollar is strong, supporting local communities, and providing inclusive experiences are key to our approach. Here’s a summary of our travel philosophy:
- Economic Impact: We prioritize destinations where the local economy benefits from tourism, supporting communities by providing jobs and promoting sustainable growth.
- Cultural Immersion: Our trips are designed to let travelers experience the culture and lifestyle of the locals, engaging in activities and places that go beyond typical tourist spots.
- Culinary Exploration: Food plays a central role, with guided culinary tours and cooking classes that allow travelers to understand a destination’s food culture firsthand.
- All-Inclusive Approach: Our trips are designed to minimize the hassle of spending money during the journey. Food, drink, transport, and tips are all included in the package price, creating a hassle-free experience for travelers.
- Responsible Tourism: Our focus is on responsible and ethical travel, ensuring that local communities benefit from tourism and that the environmental impact is minimized.
- Balanced Itinerary: We strike a balance between visiting major sites and exploring hidden gems to provide travelers with a comprehensive experience.
- Cultural Exchange: Travelers are encouraged to engage with locals and understand their way of life, fostering mutual understanding and appreciation.
By combining all these elements, we try to create a unique culinary travel experience that not only offers luxurious comfort but also enriches your understanding of the world and the communities we visit.